Putting Together Your Down Payment

Many buyers qualify for a mortgage loan, but they don't have a lot of cash to put up a down payment. Below are a few straightforward ways to put together a down payment

Slash your budget and build up savings. Turn your budget inside out to uncover extra money to save for your down payment. Also, you can look into bank programs in which some of your take-home pay is automatically placed into savings every pay period. Some practical strategies to build up funds include moving into less expensive housing, and skipping your vacation for a year or two.

Work more and sell items you do not need. Look for an additional job. This can be exhausting, but the temporary trial can provide your down payment money. Additionally, you can put together a comprehensive inventory of items you can sell. Broken gold jewelry can be sold at local jewelers. Maybe you own desirable items you can put up for sale on an auction website, or quality household goods for a tag or garage sale. You might also explore what your investments could bring if sold.

Tap into retirement funds. Explore the specifics for your individual plan. Some people get down payment money by withdrawing what they need from their Individual Retirement Accounts or pulling money out of their 401(k) plans. Make sure you know about any penalties, the way this could affect on income taxes, and repayment obligation.

Ask for assistance from members of your family. Many buyers somtimes receive help with their down payment help from caring family members who may be prepared to help them get into their own home. Your family members may be eager to help you reach the goal of having your first home.

Contact housing finance agencies. These agencies offer provisional mortgage programs to moderate and low income homebuyers, buyers interested in remodeling a home within a targeted part of the city, and additional groups as specified by the agency. With the help of this type of agency, you probably will be given an interest rate that is below market, down payment help and other advantages. These kinds of agencies can assist eligible homebuyers with a lower interest rate, help with your down payment, and provide other advantages. These non-profit agencies exist to promote the value of homes in particular areas.

Find out about low-down and no-down mortgage loan programs.

  • FHA loans

    The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), a part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), plays a vital role in helping low and moderate-income Americans qualify for mortgages. An office of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) helps individuals get FHA helps first-time buyers and others who would not be eligible for a typical mortgage by themselves, by offering mortgage insurance to private lenders. Interest rates for an FHA loan normally feature the current interest rate, while the down payment with an FHA loan are smaller than those of conventional loans. The required down payment can be as low as three percent and the closing costs could be financed in the mortgage.

  • VA mortgages

    With a guarantee from the Department of Veterans Affairs, a VA loan assists service people and veterans. This special loan does not require a down payment, has reduced closing costs, and provides a competitive rate of interest. Although the mortgage loans are not actually financed by the VA, the department verfifies applicants by providing eligibility certificates.

  • Piggy-back loans

    You can fund your down payment through a second mortgage that closes along with the first. Generally the first mortgage is for 80% of the purchase amount and the "piggyback" funds 10%. The homebuyer covers the remaining 10%, instead of needing to put together the typical 20% down payment.

  • Carry-Back loans

    In a "carry back" situation, the seller agrees to lend you part of his home equity to help you get your down payment money. The buyer funds most of the purchase price through a traditional mortgage program and borrows the remaining funds from the seller. Typically you will pay a somewhat higher rate with the loan from the seller.

The feeling of accomplishment will be the same, no matter which method you use to come up with your down payment. Your brand new home will be your reward!

Want to discuss the best options for down payments? Call us: (203) 729-6681.

Got a Question?

Do you have a question? We can help. Simply fill out the form below and we'll contact you with the answer, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy.

Your Information
Your Question
By checking the box, you agree that Amity Mortgage LLC may call/text you about your inquiry, which may involve use of automated means and prerecorded/artificial voices.. Message/data rates may apply.